Ascultă Radio România Actualitaţi Live

Investigation at the Uricani mine

Investigators think that the most likely reason for the tragedy at the Uricani mine was a methane deflagration caused by an electric arc.

Investigation at the Uricani mine
The victims' families will receive dole money. Photo: Ilie Pintea

Articol de Ilie Pintea, 08 Februarie 2011, 10:04

The investigation panel that arrived at the Uricani mine started interrogating the 15 rescuers that went inside on Saturday night, since they were the only ones who saw the stope where the 5 miners lost their lives.

The second explosion might have wrecked a large part of the evidence useful for the investigation, like individual methane air concentration detectors, but this will be revealed only after the experts allow mine access.

Prosecutor Ioan Nicodim, who is presently leading the investigation, stated that the panel is trying to find out exactly what the rescuers found and specified that the period of investigation could not be calculated, because of the complex conditions of the investigation.

"We actually seek to find out the circumstances of the first deflagration."

"We shall see if the measurement instruments had been altered with. Don't ask for deadlines, because we can not specify any," said prosecutor Ioan Nicodim.

The investigators' working hypothesis is that the electric transmission line the five miners were working on caused the methane explosion.

"The most likely version is that the methane deflagration was caused by an electric arc," prosecutor Augustin Lazăr said.

The explosion "was caused by a malfunction"

Zoltan Lacatos, president of the Valea Jiului Miners' Trade Union, says the two consecutive bursts were surely not followed by a fire, which was confirmed by the carbon monoxide levels found.

Engineer Zoltan Lacatos, who worked for almost 20 years for the Uricani mine and led the sector, thinks that the methane might have come from a secondary gallery, but he is convinced the explosion was caused by a malfunction, and not by a colleagues' mistake.

"As far as I am concerned, I think the miners on the job worked very well."

"It couldn't have been their fault. I find it hard to understand, for now," said Zoltan Lakatos.

The Uricani mine will stay closed until next week, for security reasons, and the 800 employees will receive base salary plus seniority.

Dole money for the victims' families

The families of the victims will receive dole money from the National Coal Company, trade unions and the government; the five miners" funeral will be on Tuesday at Lupeni and Uricani.

Meanwhile, trade unions are trying to establish the sum for the victims' relatives, besides the 6000 lei compensation, according to the collective bargaining.

Also, the labor ministry is considering urgent compensation for the five families, but also a long term assistance package.

Local authorities have also announced that, in spite of limited budget, will give out compensation, and the mayor asserted he will consider tax exempt for the victims' families.

Sunday afternoon, five persons lost their lives in an underground mine explosion from Uricani, Valea Jiului. Most likely a methane accumulation was the reason for the tragedy.

A few hours later, the deflagration was followed by a second one; fortunately there were no victims this time.

Three Valea Jiului mines will be closed down

The Uricani accident comes at a time when there are debates on the future of mining.
Trade Union representatives have had talks with the IMF in Bucharest about mining overhaul, and the government decided on closing three pit coal mines, of the seven in Valea Jiului.

Since last year's end, unofficial nominalizations appeared about the mines that were about to be closed.

Paroşeni, Petrila şi Uricani were said to have been considered, the last two were the place of severe work accidents.

In September last year, almost 600 miners took part in a protest in Uricani, against the mine closedown, the main resource for the local budget.

In spite of the fact that in Valea Jiului it is believed that the mines will be closed for sure, the government keeps sending contradictory messages and fueling tensions in the area.


Translated by: Ciocănel Tudor
MA Student, MTTLC, Bucharest University

Ilie Bolojan: steps to recover money from the NRRP milestone related to the reform of magistrates' pensions
News in English 18 Februarie 2026, 17:41

Ilie Bolojan: steps to recover money from the NRRP milestone related to the reform of magistrates' pensions

The decision by which the Constitutional Court rejected the appeal regarding the reform of magistrates' pensions was...

Ilie Bolojan: steps to recover money from the NRRP milestone related to the reform of magistrates' pensions
Traffic resumed on all sections of the A0, A1, A3 and A7 motorways
News in English 18 Februarie 2026, 17:33

Traffic resumed on all sections of the A0, A1, A3 and A7 motorways

The improvement in weather conditions and the intervention of snow removal equipment led to the resumption of traffic on all...

Traffic resumed on all sections of the A0, A1, A3 and A7 motorways
Defense Minister does not agree with a possible elimination of the food norm for soldiers
News in English 17 Februarie 2026, 19:50

Defense Minister does not agree with a possible elimination of the food norm for soldiers

The Minister of National Defense, Radu Miruta, stated that he does not support a possible elimination of the food norm for...

Defense Minister does not agree with a possible elimination of the food norm for soldiers
Nicusor Dan: Postponing the decision on magistrates' pensions has affected the image of the state and the Constitutional Court
News in English 17 Februarie 2026, 19:49

Nicusor Dan: Postponing the decision on magistrates' pensions has affected the image of the state and the Constitutional Court

President Nicusor Dan declared on Radio Romania News that the repeated postponement of a decision on magistrates'...

Nicusor Dan: Postponing the decision on magistrates' pensions has affected the image of the state and the Constitutional Court
Save the Children Romania: The worst vaccination crisis in decades
News in English 16 Februarie 2026, 16:58

Save the Children Romania: The worst vaccination crisis in decades

Romania is facing the worst vaccination crisis in decades. The MMR vaccination rate, against measles, mumps and rubella, has...

Save the Children Romania: The worst vaccination crisis in decades
Governing coalition meeting at Victoria Palace
News in English 16 Februarie 2026, 16:58

Governing coalition meeting at Victoria Palace

The governing coalition meeting has begun at Victoria Palace. The meeting is taking place after a long break and is expected...

Governing coalition meeting at Victoria Palace
Clay figurine, over 7.500 years old, discovered near Sfantu Gheorghe
News in English 15 Februarie 2026, 19:05

Clay figurine, over 7.500 years old, discovered near Sfantu Gheorghe

A female clay figurine, over 7.500 years old, was recently discovered near the municipality of Sfantu Gheorghe....

Clay figurine, over 7.500 years old, discovered near Sfantu Gheorghe
Defense Minister Discusses Strengthening NATO's Eastern Flank with NATO Secretary General
News in English 15 Februarie 2026, 19:04

Defense Minister Discusses Strengthening NATO's Eastern Flank with NATO Secretary General

Defense Minister Radu Miruta announced today on Facebook that he discussed with NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte about...

Defense Minister Discusses Strengthening NATO's Eastern Flank with NATO Secretary General

Radio România

Microbuz cu pasageri, răsturnat în județul Giurgiu

Microbuz cu pasageri, răsturnat în județul Giurgiu

Microbuz cu pasageri, răsturnat în județul Giurgiu
BUCUREȘTI: Incendiu la un generator electric al Spitalului Fundeni

BUCUREȘTI: Incendiu la un generator electric al Spitalului Fundeni

BUCUREȘTI: Incendiu la un generator electric al Spitalului Fundeni
După ce Curtea Supremă i-a respins taxele vamale la import, Trump introduce un nou tarif global de 10%

După ce Curtea Supremă i-a respins taxele vamale la import, Trump introduce un nou tarif global de 10%

După ce Curtea Supremă i-a respins taxele vamale la import, Trump introduce un nou tarif global de 10%
2 drumuri naționale, închise din cauza condițiilor meteo

2 drumuri naționale, închise din cauza condițiilor meteo

2 drumuri naționale, închise din cauza condițiilor meteo