Ascultă Radio România Actualitaţi Live

Bălceşti case ‘could not have been treated there’

Under-Secretary of State, Raed Arafat, said that the patient of Bălceşti had a serious illness and had to reach the higher level hospitals. The Ministry of Health closed the hospital Bălceşti.

Bălceşti case ‘could not have been treated there’
Under-Secretary of State of the Ministry of Health, Raed Arafat. Photo: Agerpres.

Articol de Paul Poteraşi, 09 Aprilie 2011, 10:58

Under-Secretary of State Ministry of Health, Raed Arafat, said on Friday that the patient who died in hospital Bălceşti of Vrancea, had a very serious illness and needed to reach the higher level hospitals.

Raed Arafat said that in the case of Vâlcea, on Thursday, the first 112 call was made at 9.29 pm by a neighbour.

The caller said that the patient fainted.

The dispatcher was able to tell him to put the patient in a lateral position, but the call was interrupted’, the Under-Secretary of State said.

At 9.37 came the announcement that the caller went to the hospital of Bălceşti, at which time more information was requested, but despite the dispatcher asking for directions, the caller kept hanging up pretty fast.

The dispatcher then rang the caller, but the driver had already reached the hospital in Bălceşti where the patient's death had been confirmed by two family physicians and by the paramedics that had arrived at the scene.

The Under-Secretary of State said that the man suffered a massive brain stem hemorrhage affecting the respiratory center, as the diagnosis was established by the forensic experts.

Raed Arafat stated that in this case there must be taken into account several issues, for example the recorded phone calls and the ambulances monitored through the GPS.
‘We need to know that all the 112 calls are recorded and the phone numbers, even the private ones, appear in the command center.

‘Plus all the ambulances that are controlled through the GPS. Thereby there be could noticed that the ambulance, which had been gone for an emergency in Drăgăşani , stayed there for 45 minutes instead of 15 as it had been legally given that they had an uncovered area.

‘30 minutes could have been saved: It was about a pregnant woman that had been no medical emergency’, the Under-Secretary of State said.

Another ambulance brought to Bălceşti

According to Raed Arafat, after closing the Hospital in Bălceşti another emergency ambulance was brought.

‘The Hospital in Bălceşti could not have solved this case since the health unit was specialized in gynecology, ENT and a retired doctor.

‘The patient needed to quickly be transported to the hospital in Craiova or the on in Râmnicu Vălcea after that serious stroke in the brainstem’, the Under-Secretary of State added.

According to Raed Arafat, by 2014, pursuant to the health law, the paramedics need to reach the rural areas, including the helicopters, within 20 minutes.

He also said that in a serious case the nearest car is sent, even with no doctor inside while another ambulance heads for it.

‘Unfortunately, people, still because of their desire to help their peers in pain, put them inside the car howsoever and take them ​​to the hospital.

‘All over the world it is recommended that in these cases to come a medical crew even if it has just a paramedic to take the patient following that on the route he needs to be taken by an emergency crew of degree 0,as the patient was situated at a longer distance and harder to reach spot .

‘Unfortunately the stroke trunk is usually irredeemable, as the patient may eventually become an organ donor’, Raed Arafat concluded.

The case gave rise to reactions and locals protested against the health ministry action since the closure of some hospitals.

Over a hundred residents from the city of Bălceşti in the Vâlcea county protested on Friday in front of the town's hospital, demanding the resignation of the minister of health and a change in the decision to close the medical unit.

According to the manager of the Municipal Hospital Bălceşti , Vâlcea, Gabriel Popescu, the Bălceşti hospital was reopened Friday, and the medical staff that had not been reassigned showed up at work, respectively seven doctors and five nurses, who currently provide pro bono specialist consultations.

Public Health Department began an investigation

Public Health Department began an investigation of this case.

According to Radio Romania Actualităţi reporter, Anamaria Cârste, the investigation primarily referred to retrieving of the sequence of events on Thursday, especially the calls made ​​towards the Ambulance Services, in order to know exactly how much time had he man waited for the paramedics' help.

The man had initially been driven to Drăgăşani, but when the person complained of more severe headaches, they have decided to head for Bălceşti.

At Bălceşti they did not find anyone, as the hospital had been closed earlier this month and there was no doctor to attend him.

Under these conditions, the Ambulance Service arrived, which was about 200 meters from the hospital, where they were found, again, nobody, because the two ambulances, the only ones in Bălceşti were left on the field.

The building served as offices of the local family doctors who had no other choice than to pronounce him dead.

According to the representatives from the Department of Public Health Vâlcea, they went on Wednesday to his physician, who put no diagnosis.

Translated by: Iulia Florescu
MA Student, MTTLC, Bucharest University

Diplomacy and international relations for 8th graders
News in English 03 Aprilie 2025, 17:33

Diplomacy and international relations for 8th graders

Hundreds of eighth graders, high school and college students spent two days learning about diplomacy and international...

Diplomacy and international relations for 8th graders
The presidential election campaign starts on Friday
News in English 03 Aprilie 2025, 17:33

The presidential election campaign starts on Friday

There are only a few hours to go before the official start of the electoral campaign for next month's presidential...

The presidential election campaign starts on Friday
Parliament's weekly agenda
News in English 31 Martie 2025, 15:34

Parliament's weekly agenda

The legislative proposal on tougher penalties for drivers who get behind the wheel after taking drugs will go before senators...

Parliament's weekly agenda
INFOMama app, health information and services for pregnant women and mothers
News in English 31 Martie 2025, 15:33

INFOMama app, health information and services for pregnant women and mothers

The organization "Save the Children" Romania launches on Tuesday, at the Senate, the mobile application INFOMama,...

INFOMama app, health information and services for pregnant women and mothers
Opening ceremony of the multinational exercise "Sea Shield" in Constanta
News in English 31 Martie 2025, 15:33

Opening ceremony of the multinational exercise "Sea Shield" in Constanta

"Sea Shield 25" includes combat sequences that will test the coordination and response capabilities of the...

Opening ceremony of the multinational exercise "Sea Shield" in Constanta
Ilie Bolojan: Thanks to the NATO shield, Romania has become a safe place
News in English 31 Martie 2025, 04:01

Ilie Bolojan: Thanks to the NATO shield, Romania has become a safe place

Romania will continue to contribute to the promotion of global security and democratic values, interim President Ilie Bolojan...

Ilie Bolojan: Thanks to the NATO shield, Romania has become a safe place
The electoral period for by-elections has started in 19 municipalities
News in English 31 Martie 2025, 03:59

The electoral period for by-elections has started in 19 municipalities

The electoral period for the by-elections that will be organized in 19 localities in 14 counties of the country on May 4, on...

The electoral period for by-elections has started in 19 municipalities
Land and property owners will be able to get their registry extracts online for free
News in English 31 Martie 2025, 03:58

Land and property owners will be able to get their registry extracts online for free

Owners of land and real estate will be able to get their land register extracts free of charge at the land registry counter...

Land and property owners will be able to get their registry extracts online for free